Take a moment to think about how you manage your energy. How do you give yourself a boost and how do you release excess energy that’s causing stress? Typically, we’re worried about time-management; however, if we don’t manage ourselves, we’re heading for burn-out. When we manage our body’s energy we’re able to boost our immunity, emotional resilience, stamina, and overall feeling of wellness.
Here is a great exercise from Donna Eden’s book, Energy Medicine. This is a powerful exercise that releases excess energy while bringing fresh oxygen to the cells. It stimulates fresh energy to flow through the joints, and gives an instant lift when you start to feel sluggish or feel a cold coming on.
1. Stand up. Rub hands together then shake them to loosen them up.
2. Place your hands on the front of your thighs with your fingers spread.
3. With a deep inhalation, circle your arms out to your sides.
4. On the exhalation, bring your hands together in front of your chest in a prayer position.
5. Again with a deep inhalation, separate your arms from each other, stretching one high above your head and flattening your hand back, as if pushing something above you. Stretch the other arm down, again flattening your hand as if pushing something toward the earth. Tilt your head back and look up. Stay in this position for as long as is comfortable. (Start by counting to 10.)
6. Release your breath through your mouth, returning your hands to the prayer position in front of your heart.
7. Repeat, switching arm positions. After this first set, do two more.
8. Coming out of this pose the final time, drop your arms and allow your body to fold over at the waist. Hang there with your knees slightly bent as you take two deep breaths. Slowly return to a standing position with a backward roll of the shoulders.
I’ve had participants during my stress management corporate workshops do this — with great results! It’s both calming and invigorating and helps people “get in their bodies” and feel like they hit the re-set button.