August is always both exciting and a little bit melancholy. It marks the beginning of the end of my favorite season. September is wonderful, but my energy shifts far too quickly into back-to-school mode, which means way more doing than being. Exciting as well … but different. For now, I’m enjoying the heat and pulling together ideas for this newsletter. Happy reading and enjoy the rest of the season!
10 Things For August:
1. Dr. Christiane Northrup’s Tips for How to Strengthen Your Pelvic Floor – This is information that every woman can use. Our pelvic floor supports the uterus, vagina, bladder, urethra, large bowel, and rectum. When it’s strong, things work nice and smooth. When it gets weak, urinary incontinence is but one of the frustrating — and embarrassing — symptoms. Dr. Northrup shares 10 excellent tips to get you stronger. Read more here
2. Recipe : Massaged Kale Salad With Creamy Avocado Dressing – This mighty superfood is fantastic sautéed and baked. For salads you definitely need to take the extra time to ‘prep’ kale leaves to help make them softer and more palatable. Massaging those leaves is key! Get the recipe!
3. Clean Beauty at The Detox Market – I love the continued explosion of the naturals beauty market. Consumers want to know what they are slathering on their skin. The Detox Market has a nice selection for devotées and curious newbies. Detox Market
4. Travel Essentials – It’s the season! Somehow I never get tired of ‘best of’ lists when it comes to travel products. Could the game-changer you’ve been looking for be on the list? Could you find something to help you look dewy and fabulous upon arrival? Have a look at CNTraveler’s list: Travel Essentials
5. Away – Continuing the travel theme, I really love this brand of travel bags. The two founders are women and they bring some serious style and substance to the luggage market. The ejectable charger is the icing on the (TSA-approved) cake. AWAY Luggage
6. Michael Pollan: Conscious Eating Podcast – In this discussion with Oprah, Pollan (author of Food Rules, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, and others) talks about the concept of mindful eating. Pollan wants people to think about what they are eating. And, of course, the power of sharing a meal and connecting to nature through cooking. Conscious Eating
7. Four Ways To Find More Clarity In Your Meditation Practice – Sometimes it’s just hard to settle into your practice and be consistent. Or you might hit a plateau. Here are some grounding practices and beliefs to help you through those rough patches. Find out more.
8. Collagen Peptides – You might have heard about the benefits of adding more collagen to your diet. It’s a great way to add protein, heal your gut, increase skin elasticity, and increase your metabolism. In powder form it can be added to many recipes. How to use collagen peptides.
9. Books + Films – This is the season for playing catch up with books and movies. Somehow I missed the documentary Forks Over Knives. It’s great and reinforces the power of food as medicine. I also finally saw Frances McDormand deliver her amazing, Oscar-winning performance in 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. One word: Queen.
I’m reading Dr. Sara Gottfriend’s book “Younger: A Breakthrough Program to Reset Your Genes and Reverse Aging“. I’m a big fan of her work on women and hormone health. And, finally, there’s Rachel Cusk’s trilogy. I’m on the first one, Outline, about a writer on her way to Athens. Slowly, but surely, she now has me hooked.
10. Time for a DETOX? – Summer might be the perfect time! Find out more. Detox